Date or period
Mid 19th Century. Possibly 1873
Listed Grade II. Lea Bridge Conservation Area. Archaeological Priority Area.
Very poor. Listed Building at Risk.
Former premises of Testi and Sons, Millwrights. Coursed rubble, with freestone dressings, in Tudor style. Large Tudor-arched north window. Conjoined octagonal chimneys.
Former school house and mission. Associated with the listed St Peter the Great church Clapton (Grade II). Possible association with the ‘Hackney Phalanx’, a national Anglican revival movement associated with Clapton. Design may possibly have been supervised by Arthur Ashpitel, architect of St Barnabus Church, Homerton (Grade II) and son of W.H. Ashpitel (owner of the adjoining dock and developer, and resident of Clapton Square).
The use as a millwrights (mechanical engineers) may point to association with the various waterworks and other engine sheds in the area.
Nothing further to the above.
Group Value with the urban core of Lea Bridge, particularly the adjoining Ship Aground and Princess of Wales public houses; with the adjoining carbonic factory and with the green in front. There are a series of direct lines of sight and urban/townscape compositions between these buildings and with the Octagonal Sluice building on the other side of the river.
Building repairs notice backed up by resolution to compulsorily purchase, restore, and transfer to a trust.
After further research, the building may possibly merit listing Grade II*.